Thursday, June 9, 2016

Granny Square Purse drawstring Conversions Tutorial


Granny Square purse to a simple drawstring purse or back pack for bears and dolls in seconds!!!  When we begin the amazing, wonderousworld of crochet, MOST of use attempt a granny square at some point, and I think it is a fair assumption as well that MOST of us have done a Granny square simple purse.  You know the one, two squares, seam 3 edges, then add the strap.  I have dozens of these around the house because they are great projects to teach my students when they are beginners, but what MORE can I DO with these little "purses"  the surely don't hold much, and though cute, the stitch pattern causes tiny things to drop though.  So, one of my two amazing and beautiful nieces, will turn 11 on June 16th.  As part of her birthday package, a new build a bear is making it's way to her, but she also had her tonsils out.  SO, yes we needed a mermaid blanket to feel better.  Well, now y'all KNOW the bear MUST have a matching tail right????  So ,this left me with the bear's actual outfit, and a dilemma.  Then as we so often feel as designers, "That moment of brilliance hit"!  It was SO simple!  WHY had I not thought of it before?  Well, certainly I am sure someone has, but I haven't noticed it, so here is MY light bulb from today, and I hope it helps you make excellent use of the granny squares YOU have lying around!

To add this pattern to your Ravelry Favorites click HERE
To Pin this pattern for later click HERE

Materials:
Whatever you are comfortable making Granny Squares with.  I used Red Heart Super saver (4 strands) and a Sugar and Cream cotton for this one.
You will not use the entire skein for smaller sizes.
Notions:
Metal Yarn Needle; Scissors; Measuring Tape
Size G/4 MM Hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Size K/6.5MM Bubble Crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge25% off Sale extended through 6/30/2016!
Just use code: MONKEYMOBILESALE
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT BUBBLE HOOK:  The availability to select your own size on etsy will end as of June 30th, so get those orders in!  CLICK HERE to get your own Bubble Hook! Get 25% offVALID THROUGH 6/30/2016 11:59pm EST.  
Sizes:
As large or small as you choose!  This should work with Any yarn and appropriately rated hook
Skill Level:
Intermediate
Abbreviations:
CH = Chain; ST = Stitch; SL ST = Slip Stitch; 
SC = Single Crochet; DC = Double Crochet;
Gauge:
Not important for this project, gauges may vary depending on the old granny squares in your WIP pile you use!
PLEASE check gauge, it is important to ensure proper fit.

Notes:
1) Do not count CH 2 as a ST.
2) Work 1st ST in First CH3 "corner" of each round.

The way "I" make my basic granny squares:
I started with two granny squares just the way I make granny squares which is with a G/4.0mm hook and worsted weight cotton.  I like my Granny squares to be 4" to 5", so for me that is a 7 row square:
R1: In a Magic circle, CH 2, *(DC 3, CH 3), rep from * 4 times, join to top of 1st DC with a SL ST
R2: (Note: this may feel 'odd' but go with me here, your initial CH2 is going to be covered by the end of the row, and this creates a less noticeable "seam") CH2, *(Skip over to the CH 3 space and DC 3, CH 3, DC 3 in the same CH 3 Space), rep from * 4 times, join to top of 1st DC with a SL ST
R3: (Note: this may feel 'odd' but go with me here, your initial CH2 is going to be covered by the end of the row, and this creates a less noticeable "seam") CH2, Skip over to the first CH 3 space and *[(DC 3, CH 3, DC 3) in same CH 3 space, DC 3 in Space between 3DCs from R2)] rep from * 4 times, join to top of 1st DC with a SL ST
R4: CH2, Skip over to the first CH 3 space and *[(DC 3, CH 3, DC 3) in same CH 3 space, DC 3 in Space between 3DCs, DC 3 in space between next sets of 3DCs), rep from * 4 times, join to top of 1st DC with a SL ST
R5: CH2, Skip over to the first CH 3 space and *[(DC 3, CH 3, DC 3) in same CH 3 space, (DC 3 in Space between 3DCs 3 times)], rep from * 4 times, join to top of 1st DC with a SL ST
R6: CH2, Skip over to the first CH 3 space and *[(DC 3, CH 3, DC 3) in same CH 3 space, (DC 3 in Space between 3DCs 4 times)], rep from * 4 times, join to top of 1st DC with a SL ST
R7: CH2, Skip over to the first CH 3 space and *[(DC 3, CH 3, DC 3) in same CH 3 space, (DC 3 in Space between 3DCs 5 times)], rep from * 4 times, join to top of 1st DC with a SL ST

I make 2 and place them back to back and seam three sides together using single crochet.  Then I chain about 120 and connect to the other side to make a strap.  Then I single crochet back across to make it more secure.  Certainly an easy and quick project, but again, I just didn't feel much could be DONE with it!  Well I have your answer!  Use these to spruce up your bear/doll/ stuffie gift giving up another level!!!  Below I have instructions on how I turned my basic granny square purse into a purse, a cinch sack, OR a backpack!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment